Saturday, July 18, 2015

Top 5 Back To School Read Alouds That Build A Classroom Community



Back to school is just around the corner. *Rolls eyes*. As much as I don't want to think about giving up the fabulous days of summer, I have to start planning. I say it every year, "I'm going to plan early!" I never do LOL! This year will be my 6th back to school year (I still feel like it is my first). 

I'm a FIRM believer in teaching nothing but procedures, expectations, and building a strong classroom community during the first few weeks of school. There might be math and science here and there, but the main goal of those lessons is ALWAYS for them to learn procedures and how to work together. 
If you start the year this way, I promise you will have a year full of smiles and tons of learning. 

Here are my Top 5 list of books that are perfect to start the year off the right way. These books are geared towards building a classroom community. If you don't own these books, no worries, just head to your local library or check out YouTube. 

1. The Juice Box Bully

Image result for the juice box bully  

Excellent lesson on how NOT to be a bystander. 
You can grab some resources for this book {here}

2. The Recess Queen

Image result for the recess queen 

This book gives great insight why bullies bully and what the kids can do to stop it. 
You can grab some resources for this book {here}

3. The Name Jar

Image result for The Name jar 

The perfect story about being proud of who you are. 

4. What if Everybody Did That?

Image result for What if everybody did that 

Now this story is at the top of my list for one that I will be reading every year. I love how it evokes conversation within the class. It really is an eye opener for everyone!

5. The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes

Image result for the girl who never made mistakes 

We ALL have that one kid in the room. This kid that is terrified of being a failure. The kid that struggles to be perfect. The kid that will have a mental breakdown if they are given a B. Yea, I was one of those kids. This story lets everyone know that it is OKAY to make mistakes.

I hope you check these books out for yourself. These books are sure to build a strong classroom community. Let me know how your class liked them.  
 

5 comments:

  1. We start back July 27th, so I am busy thinking of books to read that first week. Was planning on using several of these titles and I plan to check out the other ones! Thanks for the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is SO early Karla! Wishing you a happy school year!

      Delete
  2. All of these are on my "back to school" list too!! I completely agree with focusing on expectations and building community- you gotta go slow now to go fast later! :) Thanks for the reminder and push to start putting some plans in place!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I'm working on my read aloud list for the year and these will definitely be included!

    ReplyDelete