Wednesday, November 25, 2015

4 Tips for Teaching Multiplication


If you're a 3rd grade teacher you know the importance of teaching multiplication. Here are some tips I've found helpful to teach this super important skill.


Teach Them The "Tricks"
*x2 facts are just like your addition doubles facts
If I know 4 +4 =8 I know 4 x 2 = 8

*Use your x2 to get to your x3 facts.
2x4=8  so 3x4= 8 +4=12

*Double your x2 products to find the x4 products. 
I know 6 x 2 = 12. If I double the product I find the x4 product. 12 + 12=24 so 6 x 4 = 24

*Double your x4 products to find the x8 products.
I know 4 x 6=24. If I double 24 I find the product of 8 x 6. 24 + 24=48 so 8 x 6 = 48

*Double your x3 products to find your x6 products.
I know 3 x 7= 21. If I double 21 I find the product for 6 x 7. 21 + 21=42 so 6 x 7 = 42.

*Nines Trick
Look at the factor being multiplied by 9 and think "What is one less?" That's your tens digit.
 Then think "What number do I add to the first number to get a sum of 9?"
Example: 9 x 6
5 is one less than 6. 5 + 4 = 9. So the answer is 54.


Teach & Discuss the Properties
I took a lot of time to teach and ensure understanding of the Commutative, Associative, and Distributive Properties. We completed a few interactive notebook pages to learn and show the meaning. 

Then we talked about them A LOT as we solved. It's really helping them explain their strategies for solving, and giving them options for those challenging facts.


Model How To Use The "Tricks" and Properties
I'm lucky enough to have access to a document camera and it has helped so much! I'm able to better model and talk through how I solve, which in turn helps them form their understanding. I model A LOT. The kids also model how they solve. Letting them lead and explain themselves helps them increase their understanding. It also helps their peers that struggle. Sometimes hearing it from someone your age makes it click!


The students are always so proud when they can correctly explain how they solved to their peers. It's a huge confidence builder and it's fun!! 


Give Kids Time to Practice
Let them practice their facts with games, apps, stations, and printables


A great & easy game to implement is called Salute. You need a deck of cards. Use only numbers 1-9, and I suggest starting with just 1-5 at first.  The kids are in groups of 3. The captain says "salute". The two other players put a card on their forehead without looking. The captain says the product of the 2 cards on their foreheads. By looking at the other player's card & knowing the product the players need to figure out what factor is on their forehead. 
The first person to say the correct number on their forehead gets the cards. 
For example: The captain says the product is 12 and I can see that my opponent has a 4 on his forehead. I know 4 x 3 = 12 so I have a 3 on my forehead. "Three!"

Allowing kids time to apply the skills you've taught them is so important. A lot of times we have so many standards to take care of in a year we forget about this very important step.
 This is the step that I'm working to improve right now.

Do you have any great multiplication resources that you've used & seen great success? 
Share them in the comments below! 


Image Map

No comments:

Post a Comment