Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Problem Solving: Determine the Operation by its Structure


Hey Peppys! It's Amber from Peppy Zesty Teacherista.
I am sharing with you an idea from my brilliant teammate. I literally taught this lesson on the 7th and writing this post on the 7th. It's that imperative y'all ;)

In all honesty, there is not ultimate problem solving golden ticket to teaching. We all have different methods that we use and stand by them. I am all about taking those ideas and trying them at least once in my classroom because that method may resonate with just ONE KID, but if you didn't teach it that way they may still be lost.

This is another method for your toolbox :) 

I started by teaching my kids some new problem solving lingo.
We discussed how in addition you have something and you get some more, we discussed personal examples as we went through the boxes. 



We then completed a foldable in our notebook. I told them that they can use this notebook when we complete our Daily Problem Solving word problems. 



Inside the flap had an example and the operation that they are to use. 
My goal is for the kids to write the acronyms:
SSM, SWA, BSD, EGTA, and EGPT
next to the word problems that they are going to solve. This can be helpful for multi-step word problems because it enables them to stop and think. 


Once we finished I made a quick sort for them on the Stick Around App. Never heard of it? It's a soon to be blog post on my blog so make sure you're waiting ;) 


If you would like this new problem solving lingo in poster format AND a (prettier) foldable of the sort, click the image below!


I hope this has been a Peppy Zesty Idea for you! 
Click the social media icons next to my name so you can stay up to date with lots of new ideas! :)


Image Map

No comments:

Post a Comment