Sunday, April 3, 2016

Beat the End of the Year Blues

Guess what time of year it is? Yep. YOU GUESSED IT. The time of year where my students all of a sudden "don't remember our class expectations"...ha.. RIGHT. So that means it is time to revamp my classroom management!Check out these classroom management strategies to help you beat the end of the year blues!
I have many tricks I use in my classroom all year round, but some I leave until the end of the year to bring out! 

The first is my V.I.P table. I loved loved doing this in my classroom last year. Rachel at The Tattooed Teacher blogged about it---genius I tell you!!

First... I moved our rug from our classroom library to the middle of the room, brought in a table, and got to work making it VIP-ish! Their table is labeled with big bright letters.. V.I.P...HEY HEY!... They even get their own table sign. 

Then, I put together their *own* set of special supplies. oh yes, it's special I tell you! Things like: pens, highlighters, markers, pencils, erasers, tissue, hand sanitizer (seriously their FAV!), sticky notes, scissors, etc! 

I choose 3 VIPS a week, and each VIP gets to wear a V.I.P. badge ALL WEEK. 

I like to also give them special privileges..things like: pack up first, line up first, shoes off, keep their water bottle at their desk all-darn- day! (yes, this is HUGE!) work on the carpet...oh and you better believe no other students may walk on their carpet. ;) I also let them be my personal paparazzi. They can use our devices to take pictures for our classroom Instagram! 

Let me tell you, my students are SERIOUS about this table. It is a BIG deal. Last year I saw a huge turn around of classroom behavior since introducing it. I have seen those students that really don't care about incentives or feel like they can't earn anything work SO hard to earn this special privilege! I encourage you to think about if this would work for your classroom and try it out!

You can grab all the things I use in my classroom FOR FREE HERE! :)

Another thing I love really using in my classroom around this time are Brag Tags! You can give brag tags for any and everything! I like to give mine out randomly. 
Beat the end of the year blues by using brag tags for classroom management!

I give out brag tags for students who pass a certain amount of lessons on our Think Through Math program. 

I give a brag tag to our Secret Student when we have one.

I also hand them out in various parts of the day when I see someone working very hard on math, reading, science, etc! The students love keeping their necklace in the classroom and wearing it throughout the day! 

I have a growing pack of brag tags in my store HERE if you want to check them out before the price goes up soon!!
Check out these classroom management strategies to help you beat the end of the year blues!

I hope these tips help you make it to the end of your school year!! You can do it! Be sure to follow my classroom management board on Pinterest for more ideas!! 

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a VIP table... I can use one of those right about now!!! We finished testing last week the kids feel the year is over already. Maybe this is just what I need to shake thinks up a bit.
    Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always pays to be prepared and with a plan. We must always remember to plan for our students lessons and activity for the whole year so that we won't end up cramming. This is what I teach to my students from http://bestessay.education/rewriting as they go through their projects the whole year.

    ReplyDelete