Monday, June 29, 2015

Five Ways to Welcome a New Teacher


Hi! I'm Brenda and I blog over at Primary Inspired. I'm super excited to have the opportunity to guest blog here at iTeach Third! I actually teach a 1st, 2nd, & 3rd Grade Multi-Age. I also team teach. I always tell people 'think 52 kids -- 2 teachers'. It's certainly unique! We love it and it works very well for students. I'm lucky that I actually teach at the same elementary school I attended. This year, we have four new teachers joining our staff. I decided I'd like to help welcome them to our staff.

Starting out on the right foot is so important...it really sets the tone for your whole year! There's not much worse than starting out overwhelmed and stressed! Especially for new teachers! Got new teachers starting out in your building this year? We have several in my building, and I've compiled a list of ways we can help new teachers get off to a great start!


Put together a survival kit! Fill a basket (small or large) with items that teachers need in the classroom. You know...the types of things you use all.the.time in the classroom, and maybe a few items that you keep on hand for emergencies. Do you have something special you like to use or have in your classroom? Consider adding it. Here's a list of items you might include:
Source: Quick Chick Designs

  • Sticky Notes
  • Dry Erase Markers
  • Hand Lotion
  • Note Cards
  • Tylenol
  • BandAids
  • Lint Roller
  • Tide To Go Pen
  • Super Glue
  • Binder Clips
  • CHOCOLATE!
I started a Welcome Teachers! Pinterest Board and have been collecting lots of ideas for teacher survival kits, and general teacher gifts. Make sure to pop over there and check out the cutie patootie ideas!

Flash 'em! Give your new staff member a flash drive on which  you've saved all of your 'go to' Back to School resources. (Of course, make sure to follow copyright guidelines!) I would have loved getting a flash drive of materials when I first started teaching!



How about lunch? Invite your new staff member to join you (or a group) for lunch or dinner. Getting away from the building is a nice break from the start of the year stress. Plus, it's the casual non-school related atmosphere is a great backdrop for relaxed conversation. What a great way to make someone feel welcome!



Every now & then stop by with your new team member's favorite drink. Or leave it on the desk before he/she arrives! Such a nice treat to get in the morning!


Check in often! Ask if you can do anything to help (and mean it). Don't just limit efforts to make your new team member feel welcome to the first couple weeks of school...make sure to check in every now and then. Is there anything he needs help locating? Any supplies or materials you can help with? Does she just need a sounding board to bounce ideas off of? Help with just those small things can make a world of difference! And remember to smile!!

2 comments:

  1. Great ideas, Brenda! I can vividly remember my first year. I had an amazing mentor who took 5 of us newbies under her wing! We were so supported! I think it made a huge difference in my teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a new teammate this year. I love all your ideas... I'm preparing a folder in Google Drive to share it with her with a lot of the key things we need for the beginning of the year and I can just keep adding to it as the year goes (very similar to your flash drive idea). It was only 3 years ago when I was in the same boat and it makes a world of difference if you feel welcomed and supported. :)

    ReplyDelete