Saturday, April 25, 2015

Monthly Math Stations


Hello Friends! I'm Kelly from Love to Teach A-Latte! I have been teaching for 10 years. The majority of my years have been in 2nd grade and this year I learned about the amazing world of 3rd grade! I teach in Ohio, which is where I live with my fabulous husband, adorable son, and lovable Labrador. In my free time like to read, create, inspire, and be outside. I look forward to interacting with all of you!

Today I'm sharing how I organize math stations in my classroom. It took some trial and error, but I finally found a routine that works for me. When I first started implementing Guided Math I tried to switch the math stations weekly and I felt like the minute my students understood how to complete the activity I was changing it! Yikes! I found that placing open-ended activities in the station boxes for one month helped me and the students! I placed better quality stations and they're practice was much more meaningful.  It was a win-win situation! I love it when that happens!

I choose and create my stations very carefully. The key is the stations must be open-ended. This means students can go to this station many times in a month and the practice is never quite the same. This can be accomplished by implementing tasks that have more than one correct answer. For example,"Use three magnet numbers and math symbols to create an equation that equals 20. Then let your partner check it."


In my classroom we use many task cards, magnetic numbers, dice activities, games, and other math manipulatives that help the students practice the math skills they've already learned. In the picture above you can see some of the math supply drawers so students can help themselves. This fosters independence and is one less supply they might have to ask about. They can also put away a supply that has been accidentally left out.


 Above you'll see my station boxes. I have 12 in all. The green ones are from Wal-Mart.  Later in the year I needed more boxes and of course they were all gone so I had to get a few blue ones. Luckily both of these colors go with the theme in my room so it still looks good! Whew! They're the perfect size to fit the materials, and they fit nicely on a book shelf for storage.


On the inside of each box is a sheet that explains how to complete the station. It also contains the supplies needed to complete the station.  Below is an example of how the station box looks before the kids use it. Ha! I'm kidding... mostly....


We worked very hard at the beginning of the year. We learned how to behave & organize the stations. We practiced taking them out, talking to our buddy in quiet voices, and putting the station away. However, they're kids so sometimes they need reminding. Overall they've done a great job keeping the stations orderly and using the station time properly this year.  At the beginning of the year we also talked a lot about not interrupting the teacher's math group and they learned to ask other students if they had questions during the rotation. It took practice, but they really understood the routine after all of the practice. I also have the expectations posted on our bulletin board in case they need a reminder OR a substitute is in our classroom. I got these expectation ideas from The Daily 3.



Here are some more supplies I couldn't live without in my math stations and guided math group lessons. The fraction tiles have helped immensely with teaching fractions on a number line. A good set of magnet numbers, and Judy clocks are totally worth the investment in my opinion. I also love using the rain stick for transitions. I got this idea from The Daily 5.


So here is what a math block would look like...
I would complete a short whole class lesson on a topic. After the lesson I call a math group to my table. Then half the class does seat work, while the other half meets with their assigned math buddies to complete a station. Students' names are on a small pocket chart next to their math  buddies. Half the chart is blue & half is green so they know if they're supposed to be completing seat work or a station. The students completing seat work are completing the activity independently, and then they must review the seat work with their math buddies. After checking they can move to stations.
Students in stations...
One member of the station group is the "Go-Getter". They choose the station for the group. The other members of the group pick their spot to practice. This helps avoid the big traffic jam at the station shelf. The Go-Getter brings the station to the group members. They read the directions and complete the station together.
During this time I'm working with a math group at their level. 1 rotation lasts about 15 minutes. I use the rain stick to alert the class we're switching and the students clean up their station.
At this point I'll either continue with another math group or have another short whole class lesson.
When we begin another rotation I'll call the group. Children completing seat work should be able to move into stations, and those students who were completing stations will complete seat work. I can get in 4 math groups on a smooth day and 3 math groups on a rocky day. I sure you know what I mean. :)

This is what works for me! I hope you learned a trick or two! What works for you?
Next year I want to implement more writing about math into our station time. What would you like to change about your math block? Let's brainstorm together!


Image Map

3 comments:

  1. Kelly, I LOVE the way you organize your stations and materials. I also like how you place the directions write inside the storage containers. I'm sure that cuts down on all the questions. At the moment we don't use math rotations in my school, but that's something that I'd like to bring into my class for next year. Your post really helped give me a few ideas for what I would like my groups to look like. Thanks for sharing!
    :0) Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love math rotations. All of my math centers stay the same all year! I just switch out the skill once per month. Super simple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FINALLY getting around to reading your post! Math Stations have been my dream for years...and I can never seem to make it work. Thanks for giving me hope and some great pointers. Switching monthly certainly takes the pressure off! Great read and inspiration!
    Debbi

    ReplyDelete