Friday, September 18, 2015

How to NEVER bring papers home to grade...


Okay, maybe not NEVER. But I will explain how I almost NEVER bring home papers to grade.



I grade papers right then and there. That's right! Why? My kids need that INSTANT feedback. It is what really matters to them. They want to know right then and there if they did okay. I'm more than happy to do this. If it is something I just can't grade right then, I will have it graded by the end of the day.

I teach 3rd grade. Therefore, my assessments are not lengthy. My assessments usually have 5 questions on it. Why? Because the kids either get the standard or they don't. I don't need 20 questions to tell me that. I keep it short and sweet and to the point.

Here is what it looks like when I grade....

The students come to me when they are done (they know that if there are 3 in line, they need to wait at the seat until the line is shorter)... I grade the paper right in front of them. I usually take a minute to explain misconceptions, if there are any. I have a large grid with the student's names on it. That way I can easily find their name and place the appropriate grade in the right column. I will then input the grade into my online grade book later.

I see it as a win win all around... Less paperwork at home and the kids are getting that instant feedback.



Image Map

7 comments:

  1. I don't grade in class like that except for my weekly math quiz but I don't take things home as a rule....I will plan at home in my pjs but I don't take grading home unless I absolutely have to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing! My first year I always brought home work to grade but not anymore! They love that they get to see how they did right away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see what your grid looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! I do this every day with their math homework! I love cutting down on the grading! I also grade while they are working on something at my teacher table with me. While they are working independently I can be catching up on grading!

    Mrs. 3rd Grade 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use a morning work that is really great, but it consumes so much class time and I wanted to change up since I've used it two years straight. Did you purchase or make those quick math checks? If you have any suggestions on any quick, but effective assessments, I'd love to know about them. Thanks for the great information.

    ReplyDelete