Friday, September 25, 2015

Working With Words


During my previous years in teaching I always noticed a lack of motivation about spelling words. My students would go through the motions, but not really want to learn the words of the week. I started to think something needed to be done. My struggling students rarely mastered the words, and the high achieving students were practicing words that were too easy. So I started looking into creating differentiated spelling. Luckily the fabulous Peppy Zesty Teacherista has a fantastic post about this very topic!!

I have the same basic idea, but I had to mash it together with what we use in our district which is Orton-Gillingham & Reading Street. The kids still choose their spelling words for the week, but I create an anchor chart that follows the rule before we start. Then we add some more words that follow the rule to the already started chart. The kids use these words for Daily 5 word study. The class is getting the hand of the routine each week. We've done this for about 5 weeks. I still have to go around the room quickly, and be sure they spelled all their words correctly. Each week there are less students that need this check, but I want you to be aware there is a learning curve for them.  After they choose 10 words that follow the rule they pick 3 high frequency words from a list they keep in their folder. I got this idea and high frequency word list from The Peppy Zesty Teacherista. It's in the post that is linked above.

So now we have words... let's work with them!

I started using Daily 5 last year and I really love it. The kids love the choice, and I love the differentiation that naturally occurs after routines have been taught. I also like how they're getting more time reading what they really love. So for Working with Words I wanted to create an inviting space with easy to use supplies. Keep it simple, but meaningful is my motto these days.
During whole class instruction I still teach the rule whether it's digraphs, blends, words with endings etc., but each students word study list is a little different. The kids have more ownership over the words and they're really proud when they've mastered a high frequency word from the list.

So here's what my word work station looks like...




My class is smaller this year so I had these extra desks that I know I'll need next year so they're being put to good use now. 


At the center is a list of options in case they forget...


Let's start with the class favorite...
SCENTED MARKERS!!!
 OhMyGoodness friends! These kids love scented markers. I mean all kids love scented markers, but this class just can't get enough. I thought the joy of them would wear down after a few weeks, but no. They love them still. They practice writing their words and later in the week try to write them without looking.



Stamps
The kids love them. Maybe it's the scented ink pad. I'm noticing a pattern...
My advice on these is be sure you buy stamps that come in an organized case and then somehow keep that set with one stamp pad. I wasn't thinking about the mixing factor when I first put them out and now my orange ink pad is more like orange with a side of grape... So learn from me! 
I now put them in a plastic supply box so it's like a kit rather than loose in the drawer.


Keyboard. 
You know those old computers that are on their way out? Keep the keyboard! Gives the kids the opportunity to get to know the keys & practice their spelling. They just type them for practice.


Magnet Letters. 
Do yourself a favor and buy the big box with the organized compartments. I put it off for so long because I didn't want to make the investment, but it's definitely worth it. The kids get much more practice time in because the letters are easy to find.


Bumpy Screens & Crayons.
The kids put the bumpy screens under their paper and write their words in crayon. Then they can remove the screen and trace their words with their finger. The sensory feedback is really helpful for students.


The best part about these materials is that I leave the same materials in the center, but the practice is different for them each week because their words are new. It's simple, yet meaningful. There is enough choice that they don't get bored either. After 5 weeks of school this is still one of the class' favorite choices, and they're getting the hang of how it should be completed.

The kids practice these words all week and then on Friday their spelling buddy gives them their test. I grade it, and if they've done well they move onto the next rule. If they need more practice they look them over for a couple more days and retake the test before moving on. Tracking it is a little more work, but they're much more engaged then they have been in past years so that makes the extra work worth it. Here's the papers students use to write their lists. It's a FREEBIE

What do you use for your spelling instruction and Working with Words Center?  



Image Map

No comments:

Post a Comment