Friday, October 9, 2015

Accommodating in a SNAP {+Freebie}

Hello Hello! 

Third grade is known for two things:
(well obviously a lot more but for the sake of my argument we will just go with two)
Multiplication & TESTING

Yes, I am already talking about state testing and it's not even Thanksgiving break. These conversations need to happen because if we want our kids to be successful in the classroom and on the test, it needs to be documented that they need the necessary accommodations.

Today I am here to share with you a tip to easily accommodate in your own classroom!

(Pin this image to save for later!)


To start, find yourself a good set of colored highlighters. The more colors and shades the better!

I love these Yoobie highlighters I snagged from Target:



When the test is multiple choice, I highlight the sentence or the general area that the student can find the information. This is such a quick way to help those SPED students receive accommodations. 
In addition, I will eliminate an answer choice. 
In my opinion, this is the fastest way for me to accommodate for these kiddos.



With every child that I accommodate for, I also staple one of these babies to the paper.
If a parent sees a failing grade OR even a 100%, they are aware that it was with the accommodations.
I simply staple and check any accommodation that was given to the child.
For necessary documentation, I will also photo copy the assignment with this paper stapled to it (along with the grade shown) & place it in their file.

When parent conferences, ARDs, and state testing meetings arrive, I have all the necessary documentation for this child!



To snag this accommodation sheet for your own classroom:



*Please note that these accommodations are meant to be use as required by your state needs. I am a Texas teacher and this is allowed for SPED students as indicated by their IEP--OR if you are trying to PROVE that students need these accommodations to be successful in the classroom. There are tons of ideas on this sheet and I request that you use your best judgment to use what best fit the needs of your school's demands.*



I hope this was a Peppy Zesty idea for you!

Image Map


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this to use with my daily assignments and to show parents and administration what accommodations were used in the assignment. I know that every state is different in what they allow during the actual test, but it is important to teach the students how to do these on their own. Thank you for the free sheet!

    Teaching Special Kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some SPED students in my science class and I am going crazy with the accommodations! Thank you so much for this!!! I can't wait to start using this on Monday!

    Pink Ink and Polka Dots

    ReplyDelete