Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Breaking down 2 by 1 digit multiplication



two by 1 digit multiplication hands on lessons and activities!

Hey, Friends! 

It's Amber from Peppy Zesty Teacherista! 

I just finished teaching a fun hands on unit that I can't wait to share with y'all! 
2 digit by 1 digit seems simple enough with the algorithm method, but here is a simple way to ease that idea in their little brains that will also help them with the distributive property of multiplication. 

1. We began by refreshing our memory of basic array representation of 1 digit multiplication equation.
Ex: 4 x 3 = ?  

2. Next, I asked my students what would the array look like if I asked you to multiply 4 x 30.
I allowed the kids to explore with manipulatives. Many students tried drawing 4 rows with 30 ones cubes in each row. I related this to regrouping. When we have 10 ones, we regroup for a rod. Could the same be true for an array?! 

I showed my kids the example below and we had excellent math conversation! 



3. Once my students were comfortable multiplying a 1 digit number by a multiple of 10, we moved on.

Ask students: How can I easily split the factor 34 to a compatible number? 
We can break it up by expanding the number 34 = 30 + 4
Multiplying a 2 digit number by a 1 digit number can be represented using TWO arrays. 

My kids practiced and modeled this format until they started to see a pattern with the algorithm. 


Eventually, my kids understood that they could just write the equation instead of drawing the array. 
However, the array is a great accommodation for those friends that need extra work! 


Here is the anchor chart that I completed with them so they can reference throughout the year! 


I LOVE integrating technology in the math classroom! 
For extra practice, I had a guided math lesson using {Nearpod}! 

Not sure what Nearpod is?!
Click {HERE} for a wonderful tutorial! 


This Nearpod lesson is also available 
{HERE}

Note, I had the kids draw the box as they were practicing multiplying the numbers. 
Eventually we just placed the equation in the box (instead of drawing base 10 blocks) and transferred our understanding over to the distributive property of multiplication! 


Would you like this lesson?
It has a PPT lesson (with student recording sheets), NEARPOD compatible if you email me your customer receipt number, task cards, MORE  games, flap books, learning mats to stick in a pocket sleeve and use a dry erase marker, 11 direct printables, AND an assessment! 

Click {HERE} to see it in detail! 

two by 1 digit multiplication hands on lessons and activities!

Click {HERE} to see more! 

Pin the image below so you can reference this post for next year! 

two by 1 digit multiplication hands on lessons and activities!



3 comments:

  1. Great post! It is my favorite time of year when I can teach some of my 3rdies that they can do BIG kid multiplication!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these idea thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these idea thanks!

    ReplyDelete