Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Fractions on a Number Line

Hi there, Friends! It's Melissa from More Time 2 Teach and I'm popping in to share with you how I tackle fractions on a number line.

I’ll admit, that I was a bit nervous last week! Having taught third for many years, I know that fractions and number lines can be pretty tricky. I also understand how important it is that students master this concept

The students that struggle with this topic usually have a difficult time when we get to measurement... especially using a ruler to measure to the nearest half inch or quarter inch.

I like to begin teaching Fractions on a Number Line by making sure my kiddos understand 2 important concepts. The first, is that the distance between the numbers 0 and 1 is equal to a whole. (Students usually get this part ) The second, and trickier step, is that the lengths between the ticks, mark the fractional parts. Take a look below to see what I'm talking about.
To help my students make the connection between fractions and number lines I like to provide them with plenty of practice using fractions bars. I think that being able to touch, see, and move around parts of a whole makes fractions easier to understand. 

First I have my students show me how many fourths equal a whole. Then I introduce the number line by having them draw it underneath their fraction bars. We discuss how the 1 stands for 4/4 or 1 whole.
Next, we practice adding "tick marks" to our number line to mark the fractional parts. If our whole is made up of thirds then we label 1/3, 2/3, etc... I like to have my students count out loud so that it becomes automatic.
After we practice labeling a few number lines, I introduce the concept of "points" on the number line. We also discuss how each point  can be represented by a different letter.
Finally, when I start to see that my students are able to create their own number lines, label them correctly, and answer questions, I'll expose them to fractions greater than one.

Fractions can be tricky for our 3rd graders, but if you use manipulatives and provide students with plenty of practice and support, they'll be ready for measurement in no time!

Image Map

7 comments:

  1. Great post! I'll be teaching fractions on a number line whenever we return from all of this snow! I like that you show them numbers greater than 1 with the fraction pieces. I've got to try writing on the desk with the dry erase markers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that you found the post helpful! I've found that my students struggle with the concept of greater than 1, so being able to actually SHOW them what it means has been a lifesaver... I'd love to hear how your lesson goes :0)
      BTW- you HAVE to have your kiddos write on their desks! They are going to LOVE IT!!! The best part is that it motivates them and you get to quickly spot check how everyone is doing.
      Best of luck,
      :0) Melissa

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing! Is this all done in one whole group lesson? I am getting ready to start fractions next week. In the past, I have spent a couple of days doing something very similar to what you just described but not with fraction bars. I am definitely going to pull mine out for this lesson this time around! I also love that your students can write on their desks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, it honestly depends on your group. My group this year is pretty quick with fractions so we've been able to move along at a nice pace. However, in the past I've spent a day on fractions on a number line and showing students how the number line is similar to fraction bars. Then the following day we move on to fractions greater than one on a number line.
      You DEFINITELY want to use your fraction bars! It makes a world of difference.
      Good luck!
      :o) Melissa

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh! What a FABULOUS idea! We are on this skill right now and I am SO excited to take this back to my classroom.

    Thanks!
    Adventures of Ms. Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!!!!! I'm so glad I was able to help you out just in time. Let us know how it goes...
      ;0) Melissa

      Delete
  4. Love this! Can't to have them write on their desks! Do you continue with showing equivalent fractions using the fractions bars and writing on their desks?

    ReplyDelete