Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Valentine's Day Party Ideas for the Elementary Classroom


Hi! It's Jamie from Not So Wimpy Teacher. I love planning classroom parties that are unique, engaging and fun for my students. I am not the kind of teacher that will plan a "traditional" party that students have already had many times before. I like to spice it up!


Each year, I throw a Valentine's Day Sock Hop in my classroom! It is the perfect way to celebrate our friendships, laugh and enjoy each tower's company. I got some inexpensive decorations from the party store and I use them every single year!


I encourage students to wear poodle skirts, leather jackets, etc. We play fun 50s music and dance together. We have hula hoop contents and enjoy root beer floats together. The kids talk about it for weeks to come!


I was doing some research (using the term lightly) on Pinterest and compiled a list of some other fun, but simple, Valentine's Day party ideas.


I love THIS idea of making structures with heart shaped marshmallows and toothpicks. This is a great STEM activity that can be done in collaborative work groups. Give groups the supplies and a time limit. Who can build the tallest structure. Be sure to have some extra marshmallows for eating afterwards!


Playing Musical Hearts (a rendition of musical chairs) would be so simple to prep! Add some fun music and the kids would have a blast. Check out THIS post to see how Musical Hearts can be adapted to include reading and fun movement!


This idea cracks me up! Instead of making gingerbread houses, make THESE love shacks! They are made with chocolate graham crackers. To make it easier in the classroom, use small milk cartons to form the shoe of the house. Then decorate with cute Valentine's Day candies!


Kids love doing Minute to Win It games! They are short, simple to prep and perfect for rotations. THESE ones are super cute and involve lots of Valentine's Day candies.

This free Left/Right story game is super simple and fun. Wrap a few candies or small gifts. I am such a teacher- so I would throw in some books! The students sit in a circle and as you read the story, they pass the gifts in the direction stated in the story. At the end of the story, the students with the gifts, get to keep them! This game could be played a couple times if you wanted to!

How will you be celebrating Valentine's Day in your classroom this year?


7 comments: